Everything you need to know about Fleas and Ticks
Fleas and Ticks are some of the most common pests that appear in the warmer months of the year. As soon as they appear, their primary targets are your pets, no matter, if it is a cat or a dog. They are basically fond of the soft fur of the pets. And this can lead to various health issues.
Pests like fleas and ticks are the harbinger of bad health for your pets as they feed on the blood of your pet. So it is necessary for you to know everything essential about them to keep them under your oversight. This includes certain crucial factors that we are going to discuss in this article.
What are Fleas and Ticks actually?
Fleas are the tiny high jumping pests that love to form their home on your dog’s skin. These pests have a size of 1/16 to 1/8-inches and cannot be easily spotted with the naked eye. If you observe some dark spots on the body of your pet with some dirt, they are the perfect signs of fleas.
Moreover, the life of flea is of 100 days which means that if a flea made your dog’s skin its home. It will not go from there anytime soon. Moreover, fleas will also reproduce on the skin and build a whole empire in your house.
Ticks are another pests that can be a nightmare for your pets. Unlike Fleas, Ticks do not stay in just one place. They keep changing their places with time. Moreover, the lifespan of ticks is also more than that of fleas. Ticks can stay alive from 3 weeks to 3 years.
The eight-legged pests are a bit difficult to see in the fur of the dogs. Their parasitic attack on your pet’s skin is also monstrous. They borrow their head inside the skin of your pet and have a blood meal. If we talk about reproducing, a tick can lay up to 1000 eggs before dying. This creates a whole new generation to carry in their legacy.
Symptoms and Harmful effects of Ticks and Fleas on Pets
Pets can show various signs of having Fleas like:
- White specks in the fur that is the sign of flea eggs.
- Dog scratches or licks its skin repeatedly is also a sign of flea.
- Fleas can also lead to scabs or red spots on the skin.
- Hair loss.
- Dark spots on the skin.
- Specks of dirt.
Fleas can have a lot of bad effects on your pets, for example, in the case of dogs and cats. Fleas an easily gain up to 15 times their weight in blood.
Moreover, this can lead to loss of a lot of blood which can, in turn, lead to anemia in pets. Anemia in pets is a really serious issue that leads to the depletion of red blood cells in their blood. The most hit by this are puppies and kittens.
You will be able to recognize this by their low energy or pale gums.
Other than serious health issues like anemia, your cat or dog can also get allergies from the bite of the flea.
The bite of the flea can trigger an allergic reaction that can result in various effects on your pet’s body like:
- Intense itching
- Hair loss
- Red, irritated skin
The red, irritated skin can also lead to further infections.
Apart from pets, fleas, and ticks also like human blood. They can also jump on your skin and cause skin infections.
Ticks are other types of pests that can affect your pet’s body. Ticks are most likely to attach near the head, neck, paws, and ears. If we talk about cats, they are more likely to be found near the eyes and ears.
There are various types of Ticks, like:
- Brown Dog Tick: This tick is most common across the US and is of reddish-brown color. It does not bite humans but can cause some serious damage to the dogs such as ehrlichiosis.
- Deer Tick: These Ticks are most commonly found in the woody areas and have the same color as brown dog tick. Moreover, the feed on both dogs and humans. If not taken care of timely, they can seriously affect the dogs and people with Lyme disease. This can lead to fever and joint pain in humans.
- American Dog Tick: This type of tick is most common and is also deadly to both dogs and humans. They can cause a high fever if attached for 5-20 hours. Moreover, they are also easy to identify as the female tick grows to the size of a grape after feeding.
You can get to know about the Tick-borne diseases through the following signs:
- If you observe a loss of appetite in your pet’s diet.
- The swelling of joint and pain.
- Swollen lymph nodes.
Other than these, your pet can suffer from Anemia, skin irritation, and tick paralysis that you need to keep a close check on.
Well, if you are facing issues related to fleas and ticks, you can take a look at some of the remedies described below:
- Water Bath: Regular water bath of your dog with shampoos can help you keep fleas and ticks away from your pets.
- Nematodes: if you want to get rid of the fleas in your house, you can deploy nematodes to get rid of them. They can eat the fleas to get rid of them.
- Citrus juice: The use of lemon or orange juice on your pet’s body can act as an insect repellant. It can also lead to keeping the ticks and fleas away.
In a nutshell, we can say that fleas and ticks can be a big nightmare for your pets if not taken care of. Moreover, they can also cause a lot of damage to human health. But there are some easy methods to retaliate against them. You can employ those methods to take care of your pets and yourself.